Google has named Socratic its number one app of the year.
It specialises in a wide range of subjects, including maths, history, economics, English, chemistry and biology, and uses AI to help you understand and work through problems.
The app will automatically recognise the problem and provide step-by-step guidance on how to solve it.
Google says Socratic “blew us away this year — cleverly conceived, beautifully designed, and wonderfully useful.”
It added, “ Socratic captivated us with its best-in-class artificial intelligence: ask a question, and it’ll curate the info you need — like step-by step maths solutions — to answer it. We can’t wait to see our App of the Year get even smarter.”
The company has also compiled a list of the top five most popular new apps of the year. In the UK, they are:
- FaceApp – a photography app
- Mercari – Buy, Sell, New & Used – a shopping app
- Selfie Camera – Beauty Camera & Photo Editor – an editing app
- 5 Gold Rings UK – a quiz show app
- Don’t Ask Me Ask Britain – a quiz show app
The US list is completely different:
- Photo Editor – Beauty Camera & Photo Filters – an editing app
- What The Forecast?!! – a weather app
- Boomerang – a cartoons app
- TopBuzz Video: Viral Videos, Funny GIFs & TV shows – a trending content app
- Yarn – Chat Fiction – a short stories app
Google also revealed that Nintendo’s Super Mario Run was the most downloaded new game of the year, Moana took the crown for films, Game of Thrones was the most popular TV show and Kendrick Lamar’s HUMBLE. came out on top for streamed songs.